Love Never Dies


Rating:★★★★
Category:Music
Genre: Other
Artist:Original London Cast Recording
Recently bought this double cd from Fully Booked and transferred it all to my iPod so I can assess if this is a worthy sequel. Composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber (of course) with lyrics by Glenn Slater, this is one cast recording that is truly a joy to listen to.

The magnificence of the the orchestra abound! Especially the strings! This is a far cry from the thrill and suspense of the Phantom of the Opera London Cast Recording. I think 95% of the material is totally new and the remaining is a nod to the original material.

Ramin Karimloo plays the Phantom, a worthy successor to Michael Crawford. Although he sometimes sounds like Michael Ball. Sierra Boggess is Christine, originally played by Sarah Brightman. I still prefer Brightman though.

The 2-cd recording is a treat as it tells the whole story as if you're listening to the radio, complete with sound effects! I got the same experience when I bought the 2-cd Glenn Close-starrer Sunset Boulevard American Premiere Recording.

Is this becoming a trend in cast recordings of sung-through musicals, an almost complete version? I hope so. So we can all sit back, relax and visualize, yes, visualize, as the music of the night unravels.

I can't say that every one who has heard POTO would love this, but I can say that I was totally moved by the music of Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's the Spelling Bee for the 3rd Time

Postscript to the Gameshow

Come From Away Review